The information is based on what is followed in our family for decades. It can vary across families also.
Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja preparation
Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja items requirements - a checklist
- Fruits - five types of fruits including apple, guava , grapes , bananas , pomegranate
- Flowers - Lotus and talampoo ( fragrant screw pine flower ) and five garlands including jasmine, marigold , roses
- Mango leaf thoranam and coconut frond toran
- Cotton garland or panju thiri malai , cotton wicks
- Betelnut leaves , arecanut.
- plantain leaves for placing the kalasam in the mantap and for lunch
- Naivedyam - cooked rice , dhal, poori payasam and dhal poli
- Dharam or thread for Varalakshmi Nonbu that is tied to the right hand
- Oil and camphor for Pooja
Varalakshmi Vratham kalasam preparation and decoration
- In our family we fill the khalasam with samba wheat, some fill with rice , some fill with water and turmeric powder
- The kalasam is also filled with picholai , karugamani, dry fruits , badam , kajur , some gold and silver.
- The kalasam is decorated with different garlands, panju thiri malai and any gold ornaments
- Two talampoo petals are kept on either side of the kalasam
- On the top five mango leaves and five talampoo petals are kept alternately and on the top a coconut smeared with turmeric powder , with kumkum applied between two eyes of the coconut is kept.
- The mantap in which the kalasam is placed is decorated with Hridaya kamalam kolam, a nuni elai is kept on it , rice is spread on the leaf and the khalasam is kept on the top.
- Lakshmi padam in the form of kolam is drawn from the entrance to the kalasam symbolically representing that Goddess Lakshmi enters the house.
- The kalasam is placed on a plank , that is placed on a simple padi kolam . Aarti is performed to the kalasam, a tall narrow vessel filled with rice with jaggery on the top is kept at the entrance .
- The kalasam is used to gently tap the rice so that it falls down ( similar to the tradition in which the daughter in law taps with her right leg rice and jaggery when she first enters her in-laws house )
Varalakshmi Vratham recipes ideas for naivedyam
- Take chiroti rava , if it is not available ordinary rava can be ground in a mixer.
- Add water and cover with a wet cloth for three to four hours .
- The rava becomes soft and can be kneaded like dough. Make poori shapes with the dough
- Using a knife or cutter cut the poori dough horizontally and vertically to get small pieces
- Fry them in oil and place them in a container or plate with tissue paper on top to drain oil.
- It is preferable to use oil and ghee combination for frying. Of course this is based on one's health concers.
- Meanwhile boil milk on the stove , adding sugar and cardamom as required . Saffron is optional
- Add the fried poori pieces and allow the kheer to boil for five minutes
- Fry cashew nuts in ghee and add them to the kheer.
- Varamahalakshmi Pooja Naivedyam is ready.
Varalakshmi Puja recipes - Puran Poli
Varalakshmi vratam recipes / Varalakshmi Pooja prasadam
- Take required quantity of maida , add very little ( a pinch ) of salt and one tea spoon turmeric powder
- Add water and mix well to get the dough.
- Add generous quantity of oil above the dough so that it is immersed in oil and keep it aside for three hours
- Cook gram dhal in a cooker and mash well , we can also use a mixer to mash thoroughly
- For one measure of dhal take one measure of jaggery.
- Heat the jaggery in a vessel by adding little water and stir well till it melts completely
- Add nutmeg powder which gives a fine flavour for poli, the other option is cardamom powder
- Add a little ghee and stir well till the puran solidifies.
- For coconut poli the procedure is the same - only thing is we have to add coconut instead of gram dhal
- Allow the puran to cool and meanwhile the dough also is ready
- Take a small plantain leaf , spread a little oil and place a ball of dough
- Spread the dough with your fingers , this is the traditional method of making poli
- Place a ball of puran , fold the dough and close it , removing excess dough if any
- Again spread the poli with fingers starting from the centre.
- Heat a tava , place the poli dough on the tava by inverting the leaf and remove the leaf
- Apply ghee to cook the poli on both sides
- This is the traditional poli recipe as compared with prepared using a rolling pin.
Varalakshmi Vratham 2016 - recipes - Easy ambode or aama vadai and mor kulambu
- Soak gram dhal and red chillies as required in water for one hour .
- Drain the water , add salt according to your taste
- Grind red chillies in a mixer , then add gram dhal and grind
- The paste should not be fine and it is all right if the occasional dhal is present without grinding
- Add asafoetida and curry leaves and mix well
- We can add grated coconut also but it is optional
- Heat oil in a kadai or vaanali , make flat pieces using the paste and drop in oil
- Fry them well till they turn golden brown in colour , drain oil and naivedyam is ready.
- We can use three types of dhal also to make ambode.
- Using the same paste , fry bonda like shapes in the oil
- Take thick curd without adding water.
- Saute mustard, cumin seeds, asafoetida , curry leaves , turmeric powder , red chillies
- Add the bondas to the curd and add the "saute" to the curd and mix well
- A quick and easy morkulambu is ready
- There is a tradition of making morkulambu for festivals in some families.
- This easy recipe will be useful to them because already there are lot of items on the menu for festivals.
- So this morkuzambu can be made easily and in small quantity as well
Payasam using coconut kept in khalasam
- Take 200 g of raw rice for one whole coconut and soak in water for half an hour
- Grate the coconut and after half an hour add it to the soaked rice
- Add cardamom powder and wet grind in a mixer into a fine paste
- Boil milk and add this paste to milk
- Add jaggery as required to the payasam