The information is based on what is followed in our family for decades. It can vary across families also.
Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja preparation
Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja items requirements - a checklist
- Fruits - five types of fruits including apple, guava , grapes , bananas , pomegranate
- Flowers - Lotus and talampoo ( fragrant screw pine flower ) and five garlands including jasmine, marigold , roses
- Mango leaf thoranam and coconut frond toran
- Cotton garland or panju thiri malai , cotton wicks
- Betelnut leaves , arecanut.
- plantain leaves for placing the kalasam in the mantap and for lunch
- Naivedyam - cooked rice , dhal, poori payasam and dhal poli
- Dharam or thread for Varalakshmi Nonbu that is tied to the right hand
- Oil and camphor for Pooja
Varalakshmi Vratham kalasam preparation and decoration
- In our family we fill the khalasam with samba wheat, some fill with rice , some fill with water and turmeric powder
- The kalasam is also filled with picholai , karugamani, dry fruits , badam , kajur , some gold and silver.
- The kalasam is decorated with different garlands, panju thiri malai and any gold ornaments
- Two talampoo petals are kept on either side of the kalasam
- On the top five mango leaves and five talampoo petals are kept alternately and on the top a coconut smeared with turmeric powder , with kumkum applied between two eyes of the coconut is kept.
- The mantap in which the kalasam is placed is decorated with Hridaya kamalam kolam, a nuni elai is kept on it , rice is spread on the leaf and the khalasam is kept on the top.
- Lakshmi padam in the form of kolam is drawn from the entrance to the kalasam symbolically representing that Goddess Lakshmi enters the house.
- The kalasam is placed on a plank , that is placed on a simple padi kolam . Aarti is performed to the kalasam, a tall narrow vessel filled with rice with jaggery on the top is kept at the entrance .
- The kalasam is used to gently tap the rice so that it falls down ( similar to the tradition in which the daughter in law taps with her right leg rice and jaggery when she first enters her in-laws house )
Varalakshmi Vratham recipes ideas for naivedyam
- Take chiroti rava , if it is not available ordinary rava can be ground in a mixer.
- Add water and cover with a wet cloth for three to four hours .
- The rava becomes soft and can be kneaded like dough. Make poori shapes with the dough
- Using a knife or cutter cut the poori dough horizontally and vertically to get small pieces
- Fry them in oil and place them in a container or plate with tissue paper on top to drain oil.
- It is preferable to use oil and ghee combination for frying. Of course this is based on one's health concers.
- Meanwhile boil milk on the stove , adding sugar and cardamom as required . Saffron is optional
- Add the fried poori pieces and allow the kheer to boil for five minutes
- Fry cashew nuts in ghee and add them to the kheer.
- Varamahalakshmi Pooja Naivedyam is ready.
Varalakshmi Puja recipes - Puran Poli
Varalakshmi vratam recipes / Varalakshmi Pooja prasadam
- Take required quantity of maida , add very little ( a pinch ) of salt and one tea spoon turmeric powder
- Add water and mix well to get the dough.
- Add generous quantity of oil above the dough so that it is immersed in oil and keep it aside for three hours
- Cook gram dhal in a cooker and mash well , we can also use a mixer to mash thoroughly
- For one measure of dhal take one measure of jaggery.
- Heat the jaggery in a vessel by adding little water and stir well till it melts completely
- Add nutmeg powder which gives a fine flavour for poli, the other option is cardamom powder
- Add a little ghee and stir well till the puran solidifies.
- For coconut poli the procedure is the same - only thing is we have to add coconut instead of gram dhal
- Allow the puran to cool and meanwhile the dough also is ready
- Take a small plantain leaf , spread a little oil and place a ball of dough
- Spread the dough with your fingers , this is the traditional method of making poli
- Place a ball of puran , fold the dough and close it , removing excess dough if any
- Again spread the poli with fingers starting from the centre.
- Heat a tava , place the poli dough on the tava by inverting the leaf and remove the leaf
- Apply ghee to cook the poli on both sides
- This is the traditional poli recipe as compared with prepared using a rolling pin.
Varalakshmi Vratham 2016 - recipes - Easy ambode or aama vadai and mor kulambu
- Soak gram dhal and red chillies as required in water for one hour .
- Drain the water , add salt according to your taste
- Grind red chillies in a mixer , then add gram dhal and grind
- The paste should not be fine and it is all right if the occasional dhal is present without grinding
- Add asafoetida and curry leaves and mix well
- We can add grated coconut also but it is optional
- Heat oil in a kadai or vaanali , make flat pieces using the paste and drop in oil
- Fry them well till they turn golden brown in colour , drain oil and naivedyam is ready.
- We can use three types of dhal also to make ambode.
- Using the same paste , fry bonda like shapes in the oil
- Take thick curd without adding water.
- Saute mustard, cumin seeds, asafoetida , curry leaves , turmeric powder , red chillies
- Add the bondas to the curd and add the "saute" to the curd and mix well
- A quick and easy morkulambu is ready
- There is a tradition of making morkulambu for festivals in some families.
- This easy recipe will be useful to them because already there are lot of items on the menu for festivals.
- So this morkuzambu can be made easily and in small quantity as well
Payasam using coconut kept in khalasam
- Take 200 g of raw rice for one whole coconut and soak in water for half an hour
- Grate the coconut and after half an hour add it to the soaked rice
- Add cardamom powder and wet grind in a mixer into a fine paste
- Boil milk and add this paste to milk
- Add jaggery as required to the payasam
How to make a traditional Indian flower garland
- Buy a large quantity of roses depending upon the length of garland required
- I have shared only the basics of the method and so the garland is relatively short
- Take two or three thick banana stem fibres ( called naaru in Tamil ). They serve as the support for the garland
- Take a thin fibre and tie a knot at the top as shown.
- Place one rose on the thick fibres and hold the flower by taking the thin fibre around the stalk
- Turn the thick fibre combination by ninety degrees and place the next rose and take the fibre around the rose
- Again turn the thick fibres by 90 degrees and place the third rose. Similarly turn the fibres again and place the fourth rose
- After placing the four roses one layer of the garland is formed
- Continue this to get more layers. The more the layers , more the length of the garland
- After completing all layers required using the thin fibre tie a knot on the thick fibers at the bottom. This will hold the roses together.
- We can add sampangi or samandhi ( marigold ) in between to beautify the garland further
- Form two such portions and tie them together at the bottom to get the garland
- We can add a flower decoration at the bottom of the garland also
- This is the procedure for rose garland making.
- Similarly we can make garlands with, sampangi , marigold , chrysanthemum or other flowers.
- Where banana stem fibre is not available we can make the garland with artificial wool three or four strands
Some images of Varalakshmi Vratham 2016 decoration and preparation
kolam designs for Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja
The dot pattern used is 5, 4, 3 idukku pulli. Form the pattern at the centre and outside using the dots.
The other pictures should make the steps self explanatory,I hope.