Varalakshmi Vratham recipes ideas
- Take chiroti rava , if it is not available ordinary rava can be ground in a mixer.
- Add water and cover with a wet cloth for three to four hours .
- The rava becomes soft and can be kneaded like dough. Make poori shapes with the dough
- Using a knife or cutter cut the poori dough horizontally and vertically to get small pieces
- Fry them in oil and place them in a container or plate with tissue paper on top to drain oil.
- It is preferable to use oil and ghee combination for frying. Of course this is based on one's health concers.
- Meanwhile boil milk on the stove , adding sugar and cardamom as required . Saffron is optional
- Add the fried poori pieces and allow the kheer to boil for five minutes
- Fry cashew nuts in ghee and add them to the kheer.
- Varamahalakshmi Pooja Naivedyam is ready.
Payasam using coconut kept in khalasam
- Take 200 g of raw rice for one whole coconut and soak in water for half an hour
- Grate the coconut and after half an hour add it to the soaked rice
- Add cardamom powder and wet grind in a mixer into a fine paste
- Boil milk and add this paste to milk
- Add jaggery as required to the payasam
How to make a traditional Indian flower garland
- Buy a large quantity of roses depending upon the length of garland required
- I have shared only the basics of the method and so the garland is relatively short
- Take two or three thick banana stem fibres ( called naaru in Tamil ). They serve as the support for the garland
- Take a thin fibre and tie a knot at the top as shown.
- Place one rose on the thick fibres and hold the flower by taking the thin fibre around the stalk
- Turn the thick fibre combination by ninety degrees and place the next rose and take the fibre around the rose
- Again turn the thick fibres by 90 degrees and place the third rose. Similarly turn the fibres again and place the fourth rose
- After placing the four roses one layer of the garland is formed
- Continue this to get more layers. The more the layers , more the length of the garland
- After completing all layers required using the thin fibre tie a knot on the thick fibers at the bottom. This will hold the roses together.
- We can add sampangi or samandhi ( marigold ) in between to beautify the garland further
- Form two such portions and tie them together at the bottom to get the garland
- We can add a flower decoration at the bottom of the garland also
- This is the procedure for rose garland making.
- Similarly we can make garlands with, sampangi , marigold , chrysanthemum or other flowers.
kolam designs for Varalakshmi Vratham Pooja
The dot pattern used is 5, 4, 3 idukku pulli. Form the pattern at the centre and outside using the dots.
The other pictures should make the steps self explanatory,I hope.