Vatha kuzhambu powder preparation
- Dhania or coriander 3 cups , urad dhal 2 cups , gram dhal 2 cups , 1 1/2 cups toor dhal
- One cup jeera or cumin seeds , one cup milagu or pepper
- One tea spoon fenugreek seeds , little rice and 10-15 byadgi chillies
- All except chillies are to be dry roasted separately because the roasting time is different for each
- For chillies add a little oil and roast so that the oil takes care of the hot vapours emanating
- Or dhania and urad dhal are roasted separately
- Then gram dhal and toor dhal are roasted
- Then cumin seeds , pepper , rice and fenugreek are roaste
- Finally the chillies are roasted.
- Allow them to cool in air
- Dry grind in a mixer and store in an air tight container.
- It can also be used as sambar powder
Spices powder for mixed rice
- This podi can be used for increasing the flavour of mixed rice like potato rice or potato , tomato and cucumber rice
- Ingredients required are dhania - 2 table spoons , gram dhal one table spoon , few red chillies
- Optional ingredients are lavangam ( cloves ) and cinnamon bark
- Dry roast in a hollow vessel and grind in a mixer
- This powder can also be used to increase the flavour of bhindi or ladies finger fry or potato fry
- This can be stored in a dry container and used when ever needed
Bisi bele bath powder recipe
Idli milagai podi ( powder ) recipe
- The required ingredients are one measure urad dhal , half measure gram dhall, asafoetida, 10-15 red chillies and one and half table spoon white sesame seeds.
- First dry roast white sesame seeds till the colour changes
- Next add a little oil and roast the urad dhal, gram dhal , asafoetida and chillies
- When the dhals are roasted we get a fine "fragrance "
- Roast the salt required for idli milgai powder
- I add a little jaggery and that is optional
- Dry grind in a mixer
- As the name suggests it is a fine side dish for idli and of course dosa with oil
- Some use it as a side dish for curd rice without oil !
Dry chutney powder recipe
- A simple side dish for rice , idli and dosa or chapati
- The ingredients are urad dhal one measure , quarter measure gram dhal , one tea spoon mustard ,
- asafoetida , 10 to 15 red chillies and a small piece of tamarind
- Dry roast urad dhal without oil on medium flame till the colour changes
- Then dry roast gram dhal also separately
- Roast the red chillies with a little oil and tamarind
- Then add mustard and asafoetida. Finally roast the salt required also.
- Allow them to cool, grind in a mixer and store in an air tight container