Preparations on Thursday
Puja Procedure on Friday
Preparation of vilakku or lamps
- Prepare the kuthu vilaku ( five faces lamp ). The lamp can be made from silver or brass.
- Apply turmeric powder and kumkum on the lamp . Using cotton wicks , five numbers
- make the lamp ready , fill with oil , gingelly oil is preferable.
- Offer a small flower to the base of the lamp
- The lamp is kept in a plate so that oil does not spill over to the mandap or Puja room
- Lamps are usually kept in pairs except kuthuvilakku
Decoration of pictures of Gods and Goddesses
- Photos of Gods are wiped with a clean cloth .
- Prepare sandalwood paste with rose water
- Apply sandal paste as tilak on the Forehead . Then apply turmeric powder and kumkum on the sandal paste
- We can decorate with a single flower or with a garland
- Paalum thelithenum , pagum , paruppum
- Ivai nangum kalandhunakku naan tharuven
- Kolanchei thunga karimugathu thoomaniye
- Nee enakku sanga Tamil moonrum thaa !
- Milk, pure honey, jaggery dhal
- I mix these four and offer (to You )
- O Beautiful , huge , elephant faced , pure , precious stone ( Lord Ganesha )
- Please give me knowledge ( Sanga Tamil are Tamil literature, music and drama )
Song for Lord Vishnu in Tamil - one stanza
- Next step in the Puja with dhoopam with sambrani powder .
- Then offer naivedyam that includes betel leaves , areca nuts , coconut and fruits. If we have time we can also include a payasam or sweet.
- Next perform aarthi for the Gods
- Finally offer karpooram or camphor aarthi and complete the Puja
- After completing the Puja we can do pradakshinam and offer flowers to the Gods and pray.