Simple side dish for poori and chappati with ripe bananas or mangoes
Chow Chow paal kootu
This is a very tasty side dish for rice as also for chapathi , poori or dosa. The images below give an idea on the step by step procedure
Dhania - 1 table spoon,
gram dhall - 1 tablespoon,
toor dhall - 1 table spoon ,
urad dhall - 1 table spoon
, chillies as required , asafoetida
Chow chow cooked and in pieces
Roast all the ingredients after adding some oil in a vessel till they turn golden brown in colour.
Then add grated coconut and grind all together in a mixer with little water to get a fine paste
Turn the stove to sim position as due to presence of coconut the kootu may solidify
Carrot - poricha kootu
Poricha kootu as we say in Tamil is an excellent side dish for rice and chappathi.
Soaked rajma - 100 gram
Soya chunks recipe - gravy for side dish
I have used the smaller ones available because some may not like big chunks in a recipe.
- Soak the soya chunks in water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mean while onion, tomato are to be fried in oil
- Squeeze the soya chunks to remove all water
- This is added to the fried onion and tomato
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder , chilly powder, garam masala
- Add a little gram flour dissolved in water.
- Add salt to taste , a pinch of sugar
- Close the vessel for five minutes and the stove is in sim position
- Again garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with soft chapatis or pooris .
- My children love it as a lunch box recipe.
- It can also be prepared for Sunday special and easy recipes